A new era, but the window isn't done yet
Andoni Iraola takes charge of his first Premier League fixture this Sunday against Newcastle United, and the buzz around Anfield should be all about fresh starts and new beginnings. Instead, the final hours of the transfer window are threatening to steal the headlines, with two significant first-team departures potentially in the pipeline before the deadline arrives.
Liverpool have been relatively quiet since the window opened on 1 July. The arrivals of winger Victor Munoz and centre-back Ronald Araujo, the latter joining on loan from Barcelona, represent the sum total of incoming business so far. Given the World Cup concluded last month and expectations were high for a more active window, the relative calm has raised a few eyebrows on the Kop. What happens next, though, could change the complexion of Iraola's squad considerably.
Gakpo to Spurs: the deal that refuses to die
Cody Gakpo has spent much of the summer being linked with a move across Stanley Park, metaphorically speaking, and into the arms of Tottenham. Roberto De Zerbi is reportedly keen on adding the Dutch winger to his attacking options, with Spurs valuing that position highly as they look to build something serious this season. Certain reports have placed Gakpo's valuation at around £70 million, which would represent a substantial return on Liverpool's initial investment.
The sticking point, according to reports, is that Liverpool will not sanction Gakpo's departure unless they can bring in two attacking players as replacements. That's a reasonable stance from the club, you don't sell a player of his quality and leave your attacking depth threadbare. What gives this story legs, though, is that Fabrizio Romano has gone on record on his YouTube channel to say the deal remains highly achievable, that Spurs are still in active discussions, and that personal terms would not be a stumbling block, Gakpo himself is said to be open to making the switch. When Romano says a deal is on, it tends to be on.
Curtis Jones and the end of a 16-year story
If the Gakpo situation carries emotional weight, the potential departure of Curtis Jones carries something heavier entirely. The 25-year-old has been at Liverpool for 16 years, working his way through the academy and into a side that has won back-to-back Premier League titles. His 228 appearances, 22 goals and 25 assists tell one story. The six major honours he has won at the club tell another.
Inter Milan have been circling for some time. They first made their interest known on deadline day back in January, and after two bids, the most recent a £21.7 million offer in June, were knocked back, the Serie A champions have returned with renewed intent. Reports indicate the Italian club reached out to signal their willingness to offer £30 million for the midfielder, and those discussions are said to have progressed significantly on Wednesday, with a deal now appearing closer than at any previous point. Liverpool resuming talks suggests the club may now be ready to let one of their own move on, and the financial headroom that sale generates could be crucial for any late attacking additions.
What the next few days could look like
There is a version of the coming days where both Gakpo and Jones leave, funds are reinvested smartly, and Iraola begins his Liverpool tenure with a leaner but better-balanced squad. There is also a version where neither deal gets over the line and the window shuts with more questions than answers. What is clear is that Liverpool are attempting to manage squad space and financial flexibility simultaneously, which is never a straightforward equation in the final stretch of a window. Keep your eyes on this one, it is moving fast.
Inspired by reporting from Fasika Zelealem, Liverpool Echo.
Read the original report →Kop Insider always credits original journalism. We report independently — facts inform us, words are our own.




